TÜV Rheinland streamlines matter management with Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal
German auditing organization TÜV Rheinland deploys Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal to enhance matter instruction and reporting.
Founded 150 years ago, TÜV Rheinland is one of the world’s leading testing service providers, employing more than 20,600 employees and bringing in annual revenues of around €2 billion. TÜV Rheinland’s experts test technical systems and products around the world, support innovations in technology and business, train people in numerous professions, and certify management systems according to international standards.
Transforming in-house legal operations
TÜV Rheinland, one of the leading inspection service providers in the areas of safety, efficiency, and quality, wanted to replace its local file management systems with a modern global solution. The company sought a system that would reduce administrative attention, promote transparency, and enable automated reporting of key figures on a large number of processes for internal stakeholders.
Automating and optimizing matter management
With those goals in mind, TÜV Rheinland’s IT consultant, Transform Data, recommended Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal. Easily integrated with TÜV Rheinland’s local Microsoft SharePoint systems, the software would also pave the way for possible cloud migration to Microsoft 365.
As the company sought to optimize its matter management systems and reporting, TÜV Rheinland had five key requirements for its new solution, all of which were met by Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal.
- Capture and organize client queries and related files. TÜV Rheinland wanted to centralize information capture for its Legal Service team, which handles a large global caseload spanning the areas of contract law, company law, brand, M&A, and claims management. With Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal, internal client queries and any associated files are linked and easily accessible as attachments.
- Automate matter assignment to increase team efficiency. To quickly respond to its high volume of internal client requests, TÜV Rheinland wanted inquiries automatically assigned to the correct professionals on the legal team. Now, with Transform Data’s customization of Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal, Transform Data’s routing and notification mechanism checks these properties for all incoming requests, then automatically classifies requests by assignment criteria and routes them to the designated professional along with an automated notification. The routing logic can be managed by TÜV-Rheinland administrators, as all information is created in standard Microsoft SharePoint lists.
- Monitor response times and send reminders to keep the team on track. TÜV Rheinland’s legal group has fixed service level agreements (SLAs) regarding response times to internal client requests. The SLAs vary according to the respective legal area and the urgency of the request. Transform Data’s customization of Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal notifies the legal team when the end of the response period is approaching, making it easier for team members to track response deadlines and respond within defined timeframes.
- Report on KPIs and deliver key insights. With Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal, users can update the status of their transactions to reflect new activity, such as when legal questions have been received or answered, or to mark cases as being placed on hold. These status settings provide valuable information for SLA/KPI reports and provide the legal team with helpful insights throughout the lifecycle of a case.
- Integrate with Microsoft Outlook for ease of use and adoption. To make the change as easy as possible for the members of the legal team, and to maximize user acceptance, TÜV Rheinland first asked legal team members whether they would prefer a stand-alone tool or a solution integrated into Microsoft Outlook. The vast majority stated a preference for an integrated solution. Thanks to Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal’s native Microsoft Outlook integration, users need only minimal training to learn the new tool.
Maximizing the investment in Microsoft
In addition to meeting TÜV Rheinland’s key requirements, Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal increased the company’s return on its investment in Microsoft software. For example, the new system helped the team optimize their use of Microsoft Outlook. Thanks to improved document management, team members can now access case-related information quickly and easily, reducing the need to hunt for information and exchange follow-up emails.
World-leading testing service provider TÜV Rheinland uses Intapp Documents for Corporate Legal as its global solution for electronic management of legal cases and automated reporting. In-house legal professionals can capture all the information they need in one place and assign matters efficiently, all within a familiar Microsoft Outlook environment.
- Manual document capture and matter assignment cost legal professionals too much valuable time
- Poor visibility into required response times made it difficult for the legal team to track and meet deadlines to meet internal SLAs
Results with Intapp
- Automated matter instruction: Internal client inquiries are automatically assigned to the correct legal team professionals
- Centralized document organization: Matter-related documents are linked, giving legal team professionals quick, one-stop access to all files associated with an engagement
- Easier deadline tracking: Automatic alerts notify legal team members of upcoming deadlines, helping them meet internal SLAs
- Better visibility into matter status: KPI reporting provides useful insights throughout the case lifecycle