Capturing timekeeping data from remote meeting applications: Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype, GoToMeeting, and Slack
April 8, 2020
With many of us sheltering in place and working remotely, we are now conducting important business activities — which would ordinarily occur in person — through remote meeting applications and chat clients.
To help our clients and partners quickly enable the capture of remote meetings and chat, we are providing detailed instructions to help firms make every minute matter. Intapp Time can capture any standard 32- and 64-bit application executable running in the foreground; most widely used chat and remote meeting applications have traditional thick clients that can be captured in this way. These applications include Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Skype for Business (Lync), GoToMeeting, and Slack.
To capture your firm’s typical remote meeting applications:
- Log into the Capture Admin site as Admin.
- Click the Admin > Activity Monitoring
- Scroll down to the Custom Application section.
- Click + Add Custom Application. A new row will appear at the bottom of the list.
- Add the name of the application in the Description box.
- Check the boxes for Enabled By Default, Track Window Titles, and Flush On Title Change.
- Complete the Process Name box with the application executable names, as follows:
|Skype for Business||Lync.exe|
- Click the paper icon to update the recommended narrative definition.
- By default, Intapp Time uses the window title as the activity caption.
- To capture additional detail, edit the field as desired. For example, “Met with [Window Title].”
- Click OK to save settings.
Window titles are meant to encapsulate narratives during custom application capture. Some of these applications will identify the people who attended the meeting or participated in the chat stream in the window title, and some will not. In our testing, Microsoft Teams and Slack captured participants well, whereas GoToMeeting did not.
If the application does not populate the window title, Intapp Time will capture a generic narrative definition.
If your firm uses another application not listed here, it is very likely this same approach will work for that application as well. You can achieve maximum value using an Intapp Integrate rule to sync to the public API for these services. Please reach out to your Intapp customer success manager for specifics.
We hope this approach empowers our clients and partners to capture more value from their remote work environments during these extraordinary times.
Want to learn more about using this approach at your firm? Explore our upcoming Virtual Connect Operations & Finance sessions, including office hours sessions with Intapp Time product experts.