Pricing for profitability: Moving the needle on the pricing maturity model
The discipline of pricing is ever-growing – an integral component of the business of law that can materially impact law firms — especially if used proactively. Importantly, pricing data can offer firm leaders a window into matter, client, and overall firm profitability. So why are lawyers still often reactive when it comes to pricing?
Why firms need a formal pricing function
There is good news that the needle is moving in the right direction. According to the 2019 Law Firms in Transition Survey by Altman Weil, 64% of surveyed firms are collaborating with clients on creative alternative fee arrangements, while 42% have trained lawyers to talk with clients about pricing. Yet only 30% have hired or designated a pricing specialist inside the firm. The consequence is a failure to understand the importance of how sophisticated pricing can affect profitability.
Lacking a formal pricing function, firms are missing out on the strategic benefits pricing and the underlying data can offer, and the impact implementing the right pricing technology can provide; namely, more flexibility and accuracy to pricing teams, more profitability to lawyers and partners, and more transparency to clients.
How technology can help a firm’s pricing team
Forward-thinking firms have found that adding modern technology to the mix — smart integrated solutions that include AI/ML, predictive modeling, and other data-science tools — can result in meaningful benefits for their people, profits, process, and data.
How can technology be a catalyst to the strategic nature of pricing to inform profitability? It can provide support where the intersection of pricing and budgeting impact client business, and offer visibility into activity, progress, and most importantly, the levers of profitability of each engagement. Robust pricing technology that is lifecycle-aware helps to create and support a seamless, closed-loop system that allows firms to stay on top of engagements throughout – from pitch and proposal through billing and collection.
A solid approach to profitability, a commitment to developing rigor around pricing and matter management, and introducing the right technologies at the right point will continue to move the profitability needle for law firms.
- Meet Our June Intapp Employee Hero, Alex Clayton
- The Evolution of Legal Data Analytics and AI-Based Insights
- Manage AML and CDD with OnePlace Risk & Compliance
- 5 Ways Purpose-Built Software Can Accelerate Your Accounting Firm’s Client Acceptance
- Win Business and Grow Your Firm with Cloud-Based Solutions
- Boost Profitability with Automated Time and Billing Software
- Time Tracking Software for Consultants: How Automated Consulting Time Tracking Eliminates Costly Inefficiencies to Improve Profitability
- A First Look at OnePlace Collaboration & Content for Accounting and Consulting
- Meet Our May Intapp Employee Hero, Caleece Nash
- Meet Our May Intapp Client Hero, Jeannie Muzinic
Moving the needle on the pricing maturity model
How can pricing data offer firm leaders a window into matter, client, and overall firm profitability?